Ever wondered what copyright covers? Or just whether you can use that cool pic you just found? Well, Dan, one of our members wrote this incredible article, World Building Copyright, and we wanted to share it with you!
Copyright: The TL;DR
The article goes into detail about several aspects of copyright. Here are some of the things he explains!
- A detailed explanation of copyright. Sure, we’ve all heard about it, but he explains details like the principle of tangibility and the paternity right.
- You’re the author of your world —your content belongs to you, not us nor anyone else!
- What rights do you have as your world’s author? The most relevant as a World Anvil user is the right of being recognized as the author of the work (that’s the paternity right!).
- How can you license your work and make sure other artists’ rights are respected? Always give credit to the art you use!
- He also debunks some myths about copyright. Fair use is not free to use, and there’s no such thing as the “10% rule”!
For example, this excerpt from Dan’s article explains what is copyright:
Copyright is one of the main types of intellectual property. It allows the owner to protect against others copying or reproducing their work, for a defined period of time and provides protection from others taking advantage of a person’s creative efforts. Copyright does not protect the idea but the independent expression of an idea. Artistic works are required to be in a tangible form of expression, recorded in a permanent form.
And this is just part of the full explanation! It’s a really good resource if you’re struggling to understand the ins and outs of copyright. So go check it out for the full story!
Who’s the copyright expert?
Dan, or Gamez, is a senior experienced legal professional with over 10 years of experience in data and technology law. He’s definitely the real deal and knows his stuff! That said, an article on the internet does not constitute legal advice, so if you have queries make sure you consult a lawyer on the subject!
Free art resources?
Want to free-to-use art to add to your world? Here are several resources you can use!
- 5 free fantasy landscape image resources: Janet’s top picks to get free landscapes!
- 5 character portrait resources: more picks from Janet to create character portraits.
- How to find free art for your worldbuilding: TJ’s tips to find free art!
Copyright might not be the easiest thing in the world. But it’s something you can learn, and it’s umportant to understand! So take a look at Dan’s article now!
Want more posts like this? Subscribe to the World Anvil blog!