It’s time for another flash challenge! This time it’s about tricks. You will be able to use a tradition template or an item template depending on what you decide to focus on. Or you can do both and submit your favorite article.
“A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous.”
You all know about April fools and Halloween, right? They are days celebrating tricking people and eating candy. A lot of candy. Do any of the cultural groups in your world have any holidays like this? Maybe they are celebrating a trickster deity? Why are they celebrating that deity?
Have you heard about the War of Worlds radio drama? Has something similar happened in your world? Did an item, like the radio, spark some kind of a tradition? Is there an item that people tell tales about? Like the Trojan horse, a tricky item used by the greeks to conquer a city. Has the diety of tricks given an item to your people? Is this item used to spark joy or to conquer kingdoms?
How does your culture celebrate this tradition? How do they use the item and why? What’s the history of the item or the tradition? Is the item used during the tradition?
“Any fool can make a rule
And any fool will mind it.”
– First, you need a World Anvil account.
– Write about a day that is celebrated that has something to do with tricking people or an item used during the day or in any way related to tricks in one or several of your cultures. Use the tradition or the item template.
– Minimum of 300 words and a maximum of 1500 words.
– One article per account, one person per account.
– The article needs to be public.
– The article needs to be submitted before the 15th of April, at 11:59PM GMT (the site time, look at the bottom of almost all pages of WorldAnvil.)
– Post a link to your article in a comment to this blog post. Do not fret if your post isn’t visible right away. I will have to approve of it before it shows and will be doing that twice a day.
“Sometimes playing stupid opens your eyes to the truth.”
-The pride of having finished an article.
-Fun with friends, if you haven’t joined the discord do so and join in on the fun on the #challenge-discussion channel. (#sync-your-roles to see it)
-Janet and Dimitris will show off a couple of the entries on a stream over at the WorldAnvil Twitch channel when there is time. If you aren’t already following it jump on over there and give it a follow, that way you won’t miss out on any of the WorldAnvil streams.
“You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.”
There will be one more flash challenge at the end of the month so look forward to that. For the rest of the year we have several different kinds of challenges in different formats, check them out on this blog post: Worldbuilding challenges on WorldAnvil in 2020.
GRAB YOUR HAMMER AND GO WORLD BUILD!
Cover image source.