After releasing Chronicles, we’ve been listening carefully to your feedback, suggestions, and ideas to plan the next steps for the feature. And now we’re ready to show you our Chronicles roadmap for the next two updates!
In case you missed it, you can learn more about the awesomeness of Chronicles here!
Version 1.0.5: Tighter World Anvil integration
This version is all about tightening the integration between Chronicles and the rest of your world, as well as some minor updates and bug squashing! These features will be rolled out progressively instead of being released all at once.
- Importing historical events from regular timelines into a chronicle.
- Importing images uploaded to the world into the chronicle.
- Addition of a new event block, which you’ll be able to use to embed events from a chronicle in an article.
- Selecting existing map images in your world for a chronicle (instead of uploading it separately). Importing pins won’t be supported at first, but it is planned long-term.
- Support for BBCode embed tags! You’ll be able to embed manuscripts, images, statblocks, and external content like YouTube videos in event and location descriptions.
- You’ll be able to display a Chronicles timeline as a traditional timeline
Minor updates and bug fixes
- Pins will display the number of events linked to it.
- Invisible pins will be added to maps.
- When setting the end date for an event, the pre-selected day will be the end of the last month instead of the first day of the first month.
- Searching for a map in the map manager will also search the maps’ descriptions.
- The event manager will have a button to jump to each event in the timeline. No more frantic scrolling to find that one day long event!
- Clicking on an event in a collection sidebar will no longer close the collection so you can switch between events more easily. A collection is a group of events that are displayed in the same place on the timeline—when you click it, they are displayed on the left sidebar.
- You’ll be able to change an event’s color right from the General tab. If you’re in an event-adding spree, you won’t need to keep switching tabs anymore!
- FontAwesome will be updated to version 6 and you’ll be able to use FontAwesome and RPG Awesome icons as map pins.
- Currently, the cursor doesn’t turn into the “pointing hand” when it’s hovering an article embed. This will be fixed!
Of course, if other issues are discovered they will be added to the list!
Version 1.1: Eras and other timeline updates
This version will include eras, as well as other timeline-related features and UX improvements. There is no specific date for this update either, but it will come after the updates above are done. In addition to implementing eras, there will be the following new features:
- Change the number of lanes for each timeline (between 1 and 6).
- Ability to have different calendars in each timeline.
- There will be a list of maps so that viewers can switch between them without looking for the events.
- You’ll be able to duplicate events.
- You’ll be able to drag the timeline panel up to show more than two timelines without scrolling.
- Change the color of the timeline’s label.
- The most common icon and color combinations will be recorded and suggested to you for a faster workflow.
- For the CSS pros out there, each lane will be customizable individually.
- You’ll be able to make a timeline visible again after hiding it with the quick switch (instead of having to go to the timelines manager to do it).
When can I expect these updates?
Community feedback, as well as development of other features and feature complexity, are factors that can influence how long it takes for an update to be released. But instead of having a specific date, we stick to “quality over quantity”: these updates will come when they’re ready!
What do you think about these updates? Let us know in the comments! And create a World Anvil account today to try out Chronicles.
Want more posts like this? Subscribe to the World Anvil blog!