Are you ready to turn up the heat?
A new event is on its way, and we want to see you be prepared! If you are not aware already, this summer World Anvil will be hosting an exciting Summer Camp 30 day challenge, a whole month filled with world building activity and adventure! We challenge those willing to take the plunge to write an article every day related to a new daily prompt, and at the end earn some shiny badges in their profile along with 30 new articles to fill your world.
Does this seem daunting? Impossible even? We say nay!
We want to help you and encourage you that accomplishing this feat is possible! Here is a collection of resources to help you get started into the swing of things on the World Anvil site:
- Understanding WorldAnvil: A Whistle Stop Tour – Using World Anvil’s basic features.
- WorldAnvil for Game Masters – Using World Anvil from the perspective of a Game Master, covering even more features.
- WorldAnvil Formatting Guide – Make Your WorldAnvil articles even prettier by Ademal.
- BBcode Guide – A guide to using BBcode explained by TJ.
So now that you have an idea how to use the tools, are your creative juices overflowing? Are your ideas jumping out in droves? Or maybe you need some help getting into a world building mindset. Sometimes it helps looking back at some of your favorite content that inspired you in the first place, and invigorating when you find new ones! Check out some of the following links we suggest to find sparks of inspiration.
- Worldbuilding Magazine – An amazing community dedicated to Worldbuilding with many issues covering a variety of topics.
- The Lost Kingdom – A rich blog using the knowledge of history to to drive world building for role playing games and writing.
- The History of Sci-fi – Youtube video going in depth into the 5 Science Fiction Eras of History.
- Udan – Article example using the Species template.
- Kako The Deep – Article example using the Character template.
- Clocktower Primer – Article example using the Settlement template.
- Fundamental Laws of Magokinetics – Article example using the Natural Law template.
- Flesh Golem – Article example using the Condition template.
- City of the Lost – Article example using the Geography template.
- The Queen’s Judgement – Article example using the Tradition template.
So you have the tools and you have some inspiration. What else can help you in this month long endeavor? Maybe you’d like some tips on focusing to write around huge concepts? We have some resources to help you organize and structure your ideas so you can stay on top of writing your articles every day! These resources cover a range of topics that may help you in your quest to take on the heat of the world building forge!
- Creating a Culture – Youtube video by How to Be a Great Game Master on creating unique cultures.
- Creating a Pantheon – Youtube video by How to Be a Great Game Master on creating gods/goddesses.
- Questionnaire to help you start your magic systems – Magic specific prompts by XanthussMarduk
- Creating a Writing System – Youtube video by Artifexian on constructing a writing system for your conlang.
- Creating a language – Youtube video by Artifexian on creating a fictional language.
We hope these tools will help prepare you and hype you for the upcoming challenge. If you want even more resources, we have a whole collection here gathered and compiled from the World Anvil community. We are looking forward to seeing your great work! So grab your hammer, and get ready to worldbuild!