In this week’s community newsletter, we have the new D&D Beyond Character importer, and PDF embedding! Check out the latest from our FAQs for upcoming events, streams, stages, and even our latest and shiniest Tavern Challenge!
Look at these Awesome Community Feature Releases!
Ever wanted even MORE options for character importing to World Anvil? We’ve got you covered with our D&D Beyond character importer! Do you love beautifying your articles in whole new ways? We have that now with pdf embedding and tutorial.
Import characters to World Anvil from D&D Beyond!
You can import your character from D&D Beyond to your World Anvil account! If you ever need to update your D&D Beyond character to World Anvil, you can simply copy these steps to both import and update:
- Go to your statblocks tab from your World Anvil dashboard
- Create a new character sheet for Dungeons and Dragons fifth edition
- Click the Big Red Button that says “Import D&D Beyond Character“, a pop up will ask for the character’s ID
- Go to your D&DBeyond character sheet
- copy the ID of the character (the string of numbers at the end of the url) into the pop up
Beautify your World Anvil articles with PDF embedding!
Have you tried embedding pdf viewer into your articles? With the PDF viewer, you can display PDFs of character sheets directly on World Anvil! Using the simple BBCode tag, you can specify what pdf you want to show off using the url from where it is hosted, and how large you want it to be in your article. Check out the quick tutorial here!
Join educational Live Events this week!
Wanna create better maps, know what new features are coming up, and learn new worldbuilding tips from stages? We’ve got just the events for you!
Kill (and serve) Your Darlings! (Stage)
Create menu items for your taverns using articles from your world about one of your existing plant or species articles! Develop ideas and an appetite along with us live this Thursday on a World Anvil Discord Stage.
- TOPIC: Worldbuilding Advice, Tips & Tricks
- WHEN: Thursday 10th March at 11:00AM PT / 7:00PM UK
- WHERE: World Anvil Discord (World Anvil Radio)
New Features Revealed and Live Support! (Community Livestream)
This Friday’s Community Livestream is cancelled, but join us next week for features and development updates, a live Q&A, and raffles!
Interview with Logan “Runesmith” from Ghostfire Gaming! (Interview Livestream)
This Saturday we are interviewing our partner Ghostfire Gaming for The Tavern Challenge where you have a the chance of winning a copy of The Seeker’s Guide to Twisted Taverns! We’re chatting it up with Logan, the one and only Runesmith about building your dream Tavern. Don’t miss out!
- Topic: Ghostfire Gaming Interview
- When: Saturday 12th March at 11:00AM PT / 7:00PM UK
- Where: World Anvil Twitch channel
How Much Worldbuilding is Too Much? (Stage)
Welcome to this Question of the Week, we’re asking you how you know when you’ve worldbuilt too much and how do you prevent yourself getting absorbed into every detail. We’re talking tips and tricks to keep yourself on track and and agile this Sunday on a World Anvil Discord Stage!
- Topic: Question of the Week
- When: Sunday 13th March at 11:00AM PT / 7:00PM UK
- Where: World Anvil Discord (World Anvil Radio)
Get involved with World Anvil community’s challenges
As always, challenges are an amazing way to motivate yourself, and a great reason to share your worldbuilding with the community and the wider world!
- We announced The Tavern Challenge on last week’s stream, and we are asking you to use the building template to create a place of hospitality: like a tavern, a pub, or even a cyber-bar recharge station! We’re paired up with the AWESOME Ghostfire Games, so if you like prizes and shiny badges, it’s time to light up the forge, Anvilites!
(Need help? Check out our blog on how to create buildings!)
- The Nerdbuilding Flash Challenge judging period is now underway. Winner will be announced within the next few weeks!
- The Bard Challenge is officially concluded, and we had two awesome winners! Congratulations to Togae, He who Sings Death by Stormbril and Waves-Against-The-Hull by drunkenpanda951! Thank you to everyone who participated, to everyone who made their mark on the challenge and created something; you all rose to the occasion, and that alone is a great achievement. Thank you for being inspiring, Anvilites!
Challenge Help FAQs!
The community livestream is one of the best places to get advice from the founders of World Anvil and the community. Here are some questions we had!
If you have any questions, please post them below in the comments!
I heard you can win a World Anvil Mug from the Beautiful People Contest, but can I buy a mug, too?
Yes! On top of getting a mug, if you win the Beautiful People challenge, you can also buy them and other merch in our store!
Does a university cafeteria count as a tavern?
Absolutely! Additionally, the Tavern Challenge asks you to create a place of hospitality, and a cafeteria can definitely be that place! Consider how you make your cafeteria hospitable: is it a place where the disenfranchised can get free food? Is it a place to take shelter? Does it double as a home for the homeless? So long as the place in some way seeks the comfort and well-being of its patrons, it is a place of hospitality.
Does the Tavern Challenge require a map?
No, but adding a map would help your readers in visualizing your location. There are many different maps you can make: you can make a map that is a layout of your location, like a battlemap: or, you could use a region map to show the feeling of a town the building resides in. If you decide not to include a map, it’s always a good idea to include some stock art or portrait art so that your readers can visually connect with your worldbuilding.
Are NSFW articles eligible for challenges? If yes, where do I share them for feedback?
Yes, but please make sure to mark those articles as NSFW. If you want to receive feedback on an NSFW article, we have a channel in our discord called #worldbuilding-mature. Please make sure to keep any general discussion and feedback-seeking discussion of an NSFW article in this channel.
Can a Tavern be inside of a castle ?
Absolutely! You can make your building article a room of a building using the template. However, with this challenge, it may be easier to let the building stand on its own merit instead of making it a part of another building. For example, it would be a lot easier to give this building its own unique character if it stood alone rather than as part of another building.
Please tell us more about “the agile worldbuilding method”!
The Agile Worldbuilding Method is designed around making the foundation of your world fast so that you can build what you need when you need it. You can follow along with the seminar here and check out your world meta for ideas here!
Check Out these Awesome Beans: Anvilite Spotlight!
Finally, time for our favorite thing! Let’s shout out some amazing members of our community and give away amazing goodies.
Community Stream Raffle!
During our latest stream, we raffled off the FANTASTIC Blood Grotto: The Frozen Realm! Congratulations to the raffle winner! If you would like to participate in these community raffles as well, you are always welcome to join our Twitch Streams. By chance, if you aren’t able to make it, you can always participate in our challenges for a chance to earn prizes and/or community recognition!
Lore from the Anvil!
We get up to all kinds of shenanigans during streams, from singing star potato theme songs, to blue anvil jokes,
A House for Janet & Dimitris
Janet and Dimitris announced a personal triumph in taking a big step and making their first payment on their house! While the process was stressful, everything has worked out in the end, leaving the pair very happy.
That’s all for this week, lovely beans! See you next week for the recap, and until then – grab your hammer, and go worldbuild!
Want more posts like this? Subscribe to the World Anvil blog!